On behalf of the Food Trade Sustainability Leadership Association, I participated in a workshop at Natural Products Expo East and All Things Organic: “The Sustainability Spectrum: Philosophy to Metrics.” My slides can be accessed here.
Details on the session
Description: Can sustainability be defined and measured, or is it just a philosophical ideal? Where does your organic company fall on the sustainability spectrum – is it a guiding principle you strive toward, or do you quantify your progress and report on your efforts?
Speakers covered sustainability principles, company efforts to measure and manage key impacts, and guidance for measurement and reporting – providing inspiration and guidance to help companies move from aspiration to action.
- Nate Morr, Director of Social & Environmental Responsibility, SunOpta
- Nancy Hirshberg, Vice President of Natural Resources, Stonyfield Farm, Inc.
- Paul Thompson, Professor, Michigan State University
- Melissa Schweisguth, Director of Membership Development & Education, Food Trade Sustainability Leadership Association
- Moderator: Craig Weakley, Director of Organic Agriculture & Sustainability , Small Planet Foods
My slides and those from Nate Morr/SunOpta can also be found on the FTSLA website under the “Governance” section of the Presentations page.